Poached pears are a delicious autumn dessert, and they're easy to make. Sally shows us how.
For more How To video subscribe to our channel:
For recipes, inspiration and meal planning, visit our website: http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/livewellforless
Or have your say:
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Cooling time: 1 hour
Cals: 208/ Fat 0.16g/Sat fat 0.0g/ Sugar 52.08g/Salt 0
150g light brown soft sugar
1 lemon, partly pared and partly zested
2 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick or cassia bark
1 star anise
4 firm but ripe blush pears
1. Place the sugar, cloves, lemon parings, zest and juice, cardamom, cinnamon and star anise in a saucepan. Add the water, stir and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes and then leave to infuse for a few minutes, whilst preparing the pears.
2. Peel the pears from the stalk to the base. Trim off the base so that the pears can stand easily.
3. Place the peeled pears in the sugar syrup and simmer for 20 minutes or until just tender and the pears are starting to become translucent.
4. Carefully lift the pears out of the syrup. Boil the syrup for a further 20-25 minutes or until the liquid has reduced right down, is glossy and coats the back of a spoon.
5. Return the pears to the syrup and carefully turn in the pan to coat and give them a glossy sheen. Lift the pears onto a serving plate. Drizzle with syrup before serving.
Was surprised to find Sally instead of Fleur and Mike. Don't get me wrong, Sally did a fine job but I thought Fleur and Mike were the cooking hosts. Will they return as hosts or was their stint just for the few episodes we've already seen? BTW, the poached pears look delicious!